The Buhr Family

The Buhr Family

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Benefits of Exercise during Pregnancy


So this has been on my mind a lot lately. Before I was pregnant I was always super anxious thinking about whether or not I would be able to keep working out during pregnancy. I am happy to say I have been able to work out my entire pregnancy so far! No restrictions and all clear from my Dr. I am currently at 26 weeks and still going strong. I try to do at least 30 minutes of walking/incline walking, some days 45-60 minutes, and I try to do 30 minutes of light weightlifting/toning exercises 3-5 days a week, BTW the keyword was try, some weeks are better than others for sure. One thing that helps is I tell myself Okay I can exercise for just 10 minutes, then it turns into 15 minutes then 20, then I've reached 30! I know everyone's pregnancy and circumstances are different of course, but I think it makes for a much more enjoyable pregnancy if you continue to exercise during these important weeks of your life and your baby's life! Some of the benefits of working out during  pregnancy I have noticed:

  • It helps you drink more water! I always drink more water on days I get a good workout in.
  • It improves circulation!
  • It helps ease back pain! I definitely notice that my back feels so much better, walking in particular seems to help ease any lower back pain I have experienced. 
  • It increases energy! Yes, it really does, try it you will see! On days when I have felt super tired and working out is the last thing I feel like doing, I am always grateful when I do because believe it or not I have more energy during and after my workout than I did before! Of course, you also need to be eating right to have a good source of energy, and I would definitely recommend sticking to light exercise and walking on days when you are feeling really fatigued.
  • It helps you sleep better! I always sleep better on the days that I have worked out, and sleep is becoming more and more precious as my pregnancy progresses. 
  • It helps avoid excess weight gain during pregnancy. The less you gain the less you have to lose right? As long as you are still in the healthy range of weight gain during pregnancy then why gain more than you have to? I have gained more than I thought I would at this point honestly, however I still feel great and feel like my pregnancy has been as healthy as possible and I am not going to beat myself up about gaining more than I originally thought I would. 
  • It's one thing you CAN control during pregnancy :) Hey that's always nice right?
Well that is what I have noticed so far. So all of you soon to be mommas remember this next time you don't feel like working out! So, tomorrow in that case right? ;) Hopefully I can continue to workout and exercise the rest of my pregnancy, we will see how I do when I am 9 months prego in August though! Wish me luck!
3.6 mile trail I try to walk 1-3 times a week! It is gorgeous
What benefits have you noticed from working out while expecting? What were some of your favorite go to exercises? What changes did you make to your workouts while being pregnant in each trimester? I would love to know what you did if you would like to share! :) Have a healthy day :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment